Located in the heart of Suva’s Thurston Gardens, the Fiji Museum holds a remarkable collection including archaeological material dating back 3,700 years.
The Fiji Museum was founded on a collection presented to the Suva Town Board by William Allardyce in 1904. In the following years, other collections were donated, all of which were displayed at the Town Hall. After a fire destroyed part of the collection in 1919, the museum was moved to a concrete building at Draiba. In 1930, it was moved to the upper floor of Carnegie Library, where it remained for twenty four years. During World War II, the collection was stored in various places on the island, some of it suffering greatly from the damp. The old wing of the present building was completed in 1954; the new wing in 1971.